At this point, I decided to focus mainly on the hilt and create something decorative and creative…and that pushed my envelope a little as well. I decided to use a standard mobile battery pack as my power source, create my own lighting system with multiple and different colored LEDs. That… Read more“Designer Hilt”
This one was more about trying new concepts with the design and my new rotary tool. I also experimented with a new idea for a grip. The grip is made from a series of shoestrings. it feels great…looks bad.
I found another design on the web for a double bladed light saber prop and decided to try it out. I reinforced the blade so that it wasn’t just a prop and painted…making me not want to hit anything with it for fear of damaging the paint. Having learned my… Read more“Double Blade Heavy”
This one looks great, doesn’t it? It’s actually the least creative. I bought one of those cheap light saber toys that you find at Target and carved out the inside of it to mount in the blade design I’d been using. It’s Darth Vader’s hilt…but I had enough red sabers,… Read more“Vader Hilt”
I decided to take the challenge up a level and add a lighted blade. Essentially, I dissected a cheap flashlight from the dollar store and rewired its internals and, for the first time ever…..I soldered something!….to create something that’s not bad…and looks fairly good too. I added some “weathering” and… Read more“Saber with Light Up Blade”
So after learning about sturdiness, I decided to dive into Kylo’s saber. On screen, it seemed longer and heavier than the norm, so I went for that effect with this one. For what it’s worth…I got those things. It’s too heavy to be all that useful as a weapon, but… Read more“Kylo Ren Light Saber”
Further proof that DIY builds are not always a success, but are still great educational tools. I decided to create a double bladed saber that I could hit things with. I had what I thought was a great idea using some garden hose fixtures, but it wasn’t. I also learned… Read more“Darth Maul Light Saber”
Well…my last build gave me something to hit with, but nothing to hit. And, of course, my son wanted in on the action. So this one was for him. I tried to make it smaller and lighter…..good. The look and toughness, not so good.
This was my first ever DIY build. It came from somewhere on the web that I’ve forgotten. The plan was for just the hilt but I had an inspiration…and good fortune to add a blade so I could hit something with it. Not amazing, I know but it’s a start.